The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
is an Oriental Orthodox
church in Ethiopia
that was part of the Coptic Church
until it was granted autocephaly
by the Coptic pope in 1950
is an Ethiopian word meaning "being made one".
After Eritrea became an independent country, the Tewahedo Church granted autocephaly in turn to the Eritrean Orthodox Church.
It claims its origins from Philip the Evangelist (Acts of the Apostles Chapter 8). It became the established church under Emperor Axone in the 4th Century. Its liturgy is based on the Ge'ez language.
The Church in Axum claims to possess the Ark of the Covenant.