is a municipality in the canton of Appenzell Ausserrhoden
. It has a population of 5,500 (as of 2002
). The area of Teufen is 1,525 hectares
Five per cent of the working population are engaged in agriculture, 29 per cent in trade and industry, and 66 per cent in the service sector.
Teufen (Tiuffen) was first mentioned in 1272. By 1300 the place consisted of only five farms. In 1525 the assembly ruled that each parish could decide whether or not to remain Catholic. This led to the division of Appenzell in 1597.
In 1841 Teufen offered their new school building as a present to attract the government of the canton. The assembly refused the present.
Weaving was important in Teuffen. Around 1820 a new loom was invented in Teufen, allowing embroidery in one go. This led to a boom in embroidery, particularly between 1880 and 1890.