is the 16th letter of the Latin alphabet
Semitic PÍ (mouth) as well as Greek Π or π (Pi) and the Etruscan and Latin letters that developed from the former alphabet all symbolized /p/, a plosive, unvoiced consonant. Those who speak Arabic usually have difficulty pronouncing this sound; they pronounce like b instead.
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
Papa represents the letter P in the NATO phonetic alphabet.
P is also:
- In chemistry, P is the symbol for the element phosphorus.
- In complexity theory, P is the set of decision problems solvable in polynomial time on a deterministic Turing machine. See Complexity classes P and NP.
- In physics, p is the symbol for momentum, also for pressure; P for power and polarisation; p is also the symbol for the proton.
- As p, the symbol for the pond, a now obsolete unit of force, see kilopond.
- In units the Pico SI Prefix p stands for pico, P for Peta.
- In symbolic logic, p is often used to denote a proposition as well as q and r.
- In the study of probability, p stands for probability.
- In statistics, the p-value of a given result in an experiment the is result's significance; that is, the probability of observing this result or a more extreme result, by chance alone.
starting with P:
Words beginning with the letter P, suitable for teaching children the alphabet