The term am
, when used by itself can refer to:
- English verb: Present tense, first person, singular form of the verb be. I am.
- am is short for ante meridiem, Latin for "before noon". This is used to define hours of the day: The meeting starts at 9 am. The opposite of am is pm.
- German preposition: am is a contraction for the preposition and definite article "an dem", and as such occurs in some place names (similar to English upon): Frankfurt am Main.
- In chemistry, in the periodic table, Am is the chemical symbol for Americium.
- In electrical engineering, AM is short for amplitude modulation.
- In measurement, am is an abbreviation of attometre, or 10-18 metre. See 1_E-18_m for a list of objects on this scale.
- Air Medal
- anno mundi - Latin for "in the year of the world", discussed in anno Domini.
- Artium magister - New Latin for master of arts.